bathroom ceiling problem !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, I need to get my bathroom ceiling repaired, and I will be paying a plasterer to do the work, but I need some advice please. (apologies for this, I know nothing about DIY so please go easy !)

Our upstairs b/room ceiling has two old light fittings in the ceiling, and both of these fittings are so loose that they are now hanging down and have left 6 inch circular holes in the original plaster board. The bathroom ceiling also has other holes for extractor fan, fan pull switch and light pull switch.

We also have the dreaded artex on the ceiling. Once I temporarily remove all these electrical fittings my plan is to get new p/board installed on top of existing artex, and then have the new p/board skimmed smooth with new plaster.

The main problem I have is that we have coving on the ceiling, and shower tiling has been installed right up to the coving. Therefore I would like to leave the coving in place, but this might then look odd when the new board goes on (because the new board is obviously going to effectively lower the ceiling height by the thickness of the board and skim and not blend with the coving). Is there an easy way to blend the new ceiling into the existing coving with some sort of filler??!

Hope this makes sense. :D

Sponsored Links
If they're only 6" holes and a pro is doing it, maybe ask them to quote for repair some board around these fittings, and cover the ceiling with tight Bonding coat and multi finish skim?
This should match your coving better

Slightly worried now as I got back from work to find the Mrs has scraped hald the artex of the ceiling and she is not wearing a mask !!! The house was built in 1963 and I know that this type of house had smooth ceilings throughot when they were constructed by Messrs Gough Cooper (Maiden Erlegh area of Reading Berkshire.) I am now very worried about asbestos !!!

Bloody hell guys what shall I do ! The area of ceiling she has hacked off is about 6 foot by 5 :cry: :cry:

I am very concerned about asbestos.

Can I take some pics and upload?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back