Bathroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi good afternoon

The question I have involves my bathroom ceiling

When I moved into the house the ceiling was woodchip , I got the ceiling and walls skimmed, I am going to repaint the ceiling as the paint is flaking however whilst scraping away some paint I have removed some of the plaster which has gone back to the woodchip, what products are on the market to patch over the areas where the woodchip shows ?

Cheers

Stephen

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that you skimmed over the woodchip :confused:

I didn't I got a pro in - im saying it was woodchip as it was painted in pink with the surface being rough i.e. uneven/ lumpy bits... however ive read skimming over woodchip is a no no so maybe it wasnt if a pro has skimmed over it - i seem to remember him saying he would PVA Bond it and plaster and skim.

Well I wouldn't have, and I'll be interested if any of the pro's on here would have. If it had been a good thing to do, I doubt that it would be coming off so easily now.

However, short of taking it all down and starting again, which I suspect is pretty low down on your list of priorities, how big an area are we talking of? Whatever you put up (maybe plasterboard jointing compound which smooths quite easily) will probably need a bit of sanding down, which may unearth some more plaster blowing problems.

Sponsored Links
No professional plasterer worth his salt, would ever plaster over wall/ceiling paper. I'd take the ceiling back to basics, strip off what's there, and start again,, at least that way, you'll have a job done properly and it will last. Patching things up is not the same.

Roughcaster.

Could have been that polyripple or whatever it was - grit in some kind of latex "paint" I suppose, around in the late 1970's early 80's :confused:

No professional plasterer worth his salt, would ever plaster over wall/ceiling paper. I'd take the ceiling back to basics, strip off what's there, and start again,, at least that way, you'll have a job done properly and it will last. Patching things up is not the same.

Roughcaster.
Agreed, but I suspect the op is a bit hacked off having had a pro in already. Or am I just getting soft again :confused: Too much empathy methinks ;)

Could have been that polyripple or whatever it was - grit in some kind of latex "paint" I suppose, around in the late 1970's early 80's :confused:

well the house is 1960's and the wallpaper was ancient on every other wall in the house so your guess at polyripple would figure..

its a very small area , its basically an area around the shower where the paint flakes - I used a basic emulsion originally but will now use some dedicated bathroom paint however in scraping the flaking paint away Ive removed some plaster - just to recap the plaster hasnt flaked away/cracked on its own accord it was just the paint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back