Skim questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the best suited area to post this, but...

Our house is VERY poorly decorated and it would appear that the woodchip paper has been badly skimmed over!

Question is, if this is the case should i A) knock back to brick - board and re-skim, B) TRY and get to skim off and take off woodchip then PVA/Patch and re-skim OR C) Just skim on top of bad decor and repaint.

Thanks all

Attached is a pic of the top finish, this is the best i can do at the minute as not many on the new phone - will post some new pics tonight

image1.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Picture looks more like a switch plate, than dodgy plaster?

Any way, plastering over wallpaper is not very good practice! It would be a case of stripping back to the original wall, then seeing what condition these walls are, then take it from there!

Hey mate, thanks for the feedback.

Here is a better pic of what i am talking about :)
Please excuse the decor! LOL, the house is being done room by room.

IMG_0322.JPG

This pic is where i have ripped a pair of heating pipes out when i fitted the new system, they plastered UP to the pipes!!

IMG_0327.JPG

Just because there is wallpaper behind the socket it doesn't mean the whole wall has wallpaper they could have stripped it off and cut around the boxes before skimming , even so if there is wallpaper and it's solid just patch it

Sponsored Links
i have taken patches off verious places in the house and i can see the woodchip behind the skim.

I want to re-skim the whole lot you see, not just a patch up. the wall is a right mess.

How well is the skim stuck to it you have to ask yourself, we all know you shouldn't skim on paper but people sometimes do and its sometimes succesful, I wonder what that covering is on plasterboard is called? Now your considering being a plasterer its things like this you will have to make a judgement on ,Is it on there nice and sound? If so why take it off? You be the judge

Thank you mate,

You are indeed right, these are choices that i should be making myself. I would just like to know what the best practices are in situations like this.

I presume that best practice will be to knock back to brick and take it from there but as you say... why make more work if the covering is sound!

If you decide to take it off get a steam stripper/wallpaperstripper the steam should lift the skim and wallpaper off to which you will be down to original skim coat, with any luck the original skim won't blow if it do then its back to base coat

Brill, thanks.

Just dont want to cut corners with this being the "Forever" home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back