1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

And what is this material and can I paint or skim it?

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by mike42, 5 May 2019.

1. mike42

mike42

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just stripped wallpaper from early 90s decorated room. Underneath was paint which came off very easily. Underneath that is a mostly very sound, very smooth grey substrate/render. Its a sold either brick or block wall behind.

Is this cement render? Its very smooth. Can I paint it directly and could I skim it (since there are few imperfections etc). If skimming or painting what prep? Just pva as usual for skim? Would it stick?

The dark streaks in the pic is just water from the wallpaper stripping.

Cheers in advance for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Alastairreid

Alastairreid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It can be primed and painted or skimmed, just the usual pva prep will be fine.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. mike42

mike42

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks a lot for that. Is it just cement render? How do they polish it so smooth ?

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links