Wall condition for skimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just starting to strip hall stairs and landing, removing old wallpaper and finding all sorts of paint etc underneath, to about a dado height what appears to be brown gloss, some dodgy flaxy plaster/ filler which looks as though its been applied before the last wallpaper, some of which scrapes off quite easily, and then above that the old greeny type emulsion, some of which is quite flaxy some quite sound,
I'm intending to skim the walls and also intend to stay in the house for the foreseeable future, to stand the best chance of a successful job how much of the old paint etc do i need to remove, i will use pva before skimming but am sure pva can only help on resonably sound walls, any advice much appreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
Andy,
You are quite right.PVA will only work on a sound surface.It is always best to remove any loose, flaky paint/plaster,and that is about all you would need to do, apart from taping over any cracks in the wall.After that,PVA the wall and skim.I think you get a far better job with bonding coat first(2 thin coats,a good base,always done it that way) and then multi finish,but everyone to their own method.

Roughcaster.

Andy,
You are quite right.PVA will only work on a sound surface.It is always best to remove any loose, flaky paint/plaster,and that is about all you would need to do, apart from taping over any cracks in the wall.After that,PVA the wall and skim.I think you get a far better job with bonding coat first(2 thin coats,a good base,always done it that way) and then multi finish,but everyone to their own method.

Roughcaster.

I'd do the same, and seal it up with a coat of PVA or bondi ti the day before you plaster

Sponsored Links
Andy,

Roughcaster.

I'd do the same, and seal it up with a coat of PVA or bondi ti the day before you plaster

'Bondi ti" being the new adhesive from Australia that uses beach sand :oops: :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back