Is it Possible to skim a painted rendered wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're renovating a 1930's rendered art deco style house and want to achieve a smooth finish.

It's been painted with a thick textured paint that scrapes off easily, but underneath is a mess, patches of old paint that won't come off, lots of loose render, but most of it is still stuck really solidly - will take loads of work to remove it all.

My Dad is a retired builder and thinks we could give it a rendered skim. He's suggested removing all loose material, hacking into the surface with an angle grinder to provide a key, then coating with PVA before skimming with 4:1 building sand:cement.

I've spent hours researching this on the internet and I'm really concerned we would be wasting our time and money doing this. Apart from anything else just about every reference to rendering I've found refers to using sharp sand.

Any views?

Sponsored Links
I think you would be better off skimming with plaster, will work fine.

Sponsored Links
It's an external wall, my concern is that if we follow Dad's advice it will just fall off sooner or later.

So it's an external wall but presumably internal render?
Is is a cavity? or solid wall? is there any incidence of damp?

It's the whole outside of the house that's rendered. The house is traditionally brick built, solid walls and then rendered over and painted. No sign of any damp.

Our original plan was to remove all the render and have it done from scratch, but it's really stuck solid, so we just want to coat over it for cosmetic purposes.

It's the whole outside of the house that's rendered. The house is traditionally brick built, solid walls and then rendered over and painted. No sign of any damp.

Our original plan was to remove all the render and have it done from scratch, but it's really stuck solid, so we just want to coat over it for cosmetic purposes.

Get all loose off, you can give it a light key if you want with the grinder or scrutch hammer.

Then SBR:OPC :Sand slurry or rendaid , either of them brushed/stippled for a key and you can render away to your heart's content

Edit - don't use PVA with cement outside

you will have to get someone to render it so why not ask them for their proffesional opinion.its hard to judge something you cannot see.

From experience, I find it's best to know what you want doing before you call in the trades, there are some rouges out there if you don't have any good contacts, which we don't on this one.

Plus we want to do all the donkey work ourselves, 'cos money's tight.[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back