Skimming over satin finish paints and render.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to reskim a wall in my bathroom which is painted in the satin-finish paint. I'm wondering if I can get away without pva'ing the wall before skimming, as the satin paint seems to have some waterproofing properties, thereby preventing absorption of water/drying out of the skim. I've pva'd satin walls before skimming in the past, 'just in case', but as it takes ages to absorb/dry, I'm wondering if its worth it.

Also, I'm about to skim over internal render. Do I need to pva this before skimming?

Any help would be much appeciated.

Sponsored Links
If you don’t key a satin or gloss finish by scoring the surface before plastering the bond will be very weak & the plaster very likely to come off with the slightest knock! To key this sort of finish, I use either a (very!) stiff wire brush or the corner of an old scraper, sometimes both, to give a criss-cross pattern of scratches over the whole area; they need to be deep enough to penetrate through the paint surface to provide a decent key. I then go over the whole wall with a liberal coat of 5-1 water/PVA mix & leave it to dry thoroughly, at least over night. Prior to skimming, I apply a stronger that normal 2-1 water/PVA mix & skim when tacky.

Apply a liberal coat of 3-1 water/PVA mix over the render; when dry, apply a second 3-1 coat & skim as soon as it goes tacky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back