New skim cracking (not blown)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Yesterday i re-skimmed a wall over previous skim and as it was drying cracking started to appear. Now its dried there a few, i believe its called crazy cracking (the plaster is solid)? I pva'd to seal plaster 3 parts water and 1 part pva (stronger than tub instructed) then 3 parts pva 1 water for adhesion. When i skimmed over painted wall i didn't have this problem, im guessing its a suction problem? Anyway i really don't want to do it again can i paint then rake out and fill the most obvious cracks?

Thanks, Phil

Sponsored Links
sounds like it's dried too quickly, sometimes a substrate needs plenty of PVA to control the suction so you may not have applied enough.

Did you find it was setting quickly?

I think it may have set fairly quickly as it was warm in the room, I may not have applied enough PVA in that area too. The top half which I applied hardwall is fine and so is the bottom half. Like I said this is the first problem I've had with this, when I've skimmed over a painted wall its been fine!

I've been sorting out blown and cracked areas of plaster in the bedrooms and I thought I would have a go! I've been applying hardwall and skimming and then I'm replacing skirting boards...i'm learning :D I'm quite enjoying myself :D

By substrate, do you mean a bare surface like plaster or brick etc? Can it also happen if the mixture is too sloppy!?

Thanks

Phil

by substrate i mean background.

Wetness of the mix will not be the cause, makes no difference, just personal preference as to how you like to have it to lay on.

Was the skim coat you went on top of unpainted? Paint can hold off the set, some types more than others.

I think you may have been better off having a closer to 5:1 mix for sealing, the 3:1 may have been too thick to absorb properly and may have sat around on top until you wet it with your finish.

Sponsored Links
I thought I would have a go! .............i'm learning :D I'm quite enjoying myself :D

Phil

A word of warning - you'll be doing bits for mates next, and family. Then for friends of family, getting paid for it. Then you'll do more and more plastering.

Thenit will be too late. Your are on
The road to insanity............... :D

Was the skim coat you went on top of unpainted? Paint can hold off the set, some types more than others.

I think you may have been better off having a closer to 5:1 mix for sealing, the 3:1 may have been too thick to absorb properly and may have sat around on top until you wet it with your finish.

Yes it was unpainted. The other walls i'm skimming are painted so am i ok with a 3 pva 1 water mix or am i better of with a 1 pva 5 water mix? I was under the impression that more pva is better for sealing. So a more watery mix is better for sealing especially for bare plaster? On the previous painted walls I've appled a 3 pva 1 water mix for sealing and then the same for adhesion and had no problems. [/quote]

I thought I would have a go! .............i'm learning :D I'm quite enjoying myself :D

Phil

A word of warning - you'll be doing bits for mates next, and family. Then for friends of family, getting paid for it. Then you'll do more and more plastering.

Thenit will be too late. Your are on
The road to insanity............... :D

I hope not!!!! I just want to sort out my problems in my house then have done with it. I'm enjoying it so far but my finish isn't the best so I wouldn't do anybody elses :)

Phil

The walls i've skimmed over and will be skimming next are all painted with matt paint, if it makes any difference? :)

Phil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back