small ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a small room and ceiling is about 1.5m x 1.2m. The current covering is some old painted woodchip wallpaper that's a right pain to get off and behind it will be the original old plaster.

Am I better stripping the woodchip wallpaper from the ceiling before skimming it or am I ok just skimming over it (PVCing first)?

Sponsored Links
we have a small room and ceiling is about 1.5m x 1.2m. The current covering is some old painted woodchip wallpaper that's a right pain to get off and behind it will be the original old plaster.

Am I better stripping the woodchip wallpaper from the ceiling before skimming it or am I ok just skimming over it (PVCing first)?
definatley take the paper off then pva then skim, all that hard scraping will be worth it in the end, you may find a few nastys under the paper though

You cant skim over woodchip paper (or any other paper), it will end in tears.

Sponsored Links
Wood chip would tear and so would a patterened paper but i feel a lining paper would remain unscathed!
Sorry my post meant "tears" as in crying not as in the paper “tearing”. :LOL:

I wouldn’t attempt skimming over lining paper either; it will bubble unless the adhesive coverage on the back is 100% & the paper is not thoroughly sealed (not using standard PVA) & waterproof sealing will totally kill any suction giving problems with skim adhesion.

i have known of one spread to skim over lining paper and when i asked him did he have any problems with it he said no, i was once asked to do it and was reluctant to quote on it, i ended up doing their hallway instead and managed to give that room a miss, so ive never done it but know it can be done , but heres something to think about we skim on paper every day when we skim plasterboard

I tried skimming over gloss once at home to test it - it gets paper off a treat. :mrgreen:

Wood chip would tear and so would a patterened paper but i feel a lining paper would remain unscathed!

I wouldn’t attempt skimming over lining paper either; it will bubble unless the adhesive coverage on the back is 100% & the paper is not thoroughly sealed (not using standard PVA) & waterproof sealing will totally kill any suction giving problems with skim adhesion.

I was teasing, I wouldn't skim over any paper, just look at tape and joins after 10 years.

I was teasing, I wouldn't skim over any paper, just look at tape and joins after 10 years.
Sorry, I feel like a fool now :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back