texturing plaster to look like woodchip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am putting up a ceiling fan in my living room but the existing light wasn't on a joist, just attached to the lath through the plaster. I had to knock a hole in the ceiling to find the joist as the fan weighs about twenty pounds, but as the house is about a hundred years old the plaster just fell from the lath without barely hitting it, this has created a hole about eight/nine inches in diameter. The ceiling has woodchip on it, but i dont want to strip a whole ceiling for a nine inch hole, so i was wondering if you could recommend a plaster that i could use to texture like woodchip and how easy is it to texture plaster to look like woodchip? the plaster is about 10 mill deep if that helps, thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Its probably easier to plaster it and then use artex over the patch or a textured paint over the whole ceiliing. However if your plastering is anything like mine it will look like woodchip anyway.

Why dont you buy a roll of wood-chip paper to match existing and cut a piece out of it stick it on the ceiling temporary and draw around it then cut that section out and put your new piece in??? Easy eh? ;)

I had to knock a hole in the ceiling to find the joist as the fan weighs about twenty pounds, but as the house is about a hundred years old the plaster just fell from the lath without barely hitting it, this has created a hole about eight/nine inches in diameter.

Why didn't you just drill some small holes? You can feel when you hit a joist and are much easier to fill afterwards ;)

Sponsored Links
Why dont you buy a roll of wood-chip paper to match existing and cut a piece out of it stick it on the ceiling temporary and draw around it then cut that section out and put your new piece in??? Easy eh? ;)

I would have done that mate, but the existing woodchip has completly bonded with the plaster as it's been up there that long, could get real messy!

Gday2uk :Why didn't you just drill some small holes? You can feel when you hit a joist and are much easier to fill afterwards

I would have done that Gday, but the joist is not sitting centre of the room so i had to bridge out the joist using 4x2's.

Thanks for all suggestions, just going fill the initial hole with plaster, leave it shy of level and use that 3/4 mm gap to try and get it close to wood chip, thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back