Is this artex or textured plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have rented a room with the corner of the ceiling flood damaged (not recent). Please see photos. Is this artex or textured plaster? The cottage is possibly 1890s and this is the only ceiling with this finish. I was told by asbestos co it's not a typical artex finish (sent photo), but should test to be sure. Lath and plaster also mentioned by someone at council who thought it could be asbestos. I have asthma and would rather not chance there being asbestos fibres in bedroom as they are too small to be hoovered up (pass through), and could still be in situ. Please reply as soon as possible. Thank you ever so much.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 1,612
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2,621
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 2,080
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 1,570
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 2,278
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    255.2 KB · Views: 1,379
Sponsored Links
Sorry, but it's difficult to tell from a photo, and really needs a sample being set off for testing. I would be more inclined to think it was plaster, but better to play safe If you're that concerned. If it has to come off, the safest way is to steam and scrape it off, but you should wear a good quality face mask, not a cheap throwaway one.

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I've zoomed in on the swirly pattern of the photos on an IPad and compared it to photos of asbestos containing artex on the Internet and the swirl does seem more bumpy/lumpy and less peak-like on my ceiling. Would a house survey have mentioned if the ceiling was asbestos artex as nothing was said in the one for this house. Renting from friend so won't be removing. Attached a photo of hallway wall in case someone recognises asbestos artex or plaster. Still debating Kipling on sofa instead of sleeping in this bedroom so any replies extremely gratefully received. Wondering if moisture damaged will make fibre release less likely as opposed to drilling into, but it is a substantially cracked as well as other smaller cracks. Also wondering if the bubbling (see photos) points to plaster or artex. Bless you all. K.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 642
House surveys don't tend to bother with asbestos unless it obvious, and artex isn't always the obvious stuff. Surveys tend to look for structural defects, are the wall sound, does the roof need replacing. Wall coverings don't tend to come in to their remit.

If you do have artex, then never drill into it, but moisture tend to hold on to the fibres, hence it's best to steam it off and scrape it, rather than dry scrape it.

I suspect you're going to be fine; but it's your choice. Best of luck with it.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your consideration - literally! Really kind....and really late! Kx

Anyone else out there who can offer an opinion, especially seasoned plasterers, or could you email this link to any you know. Chanced bedroom this morning and it's quite unevenly done - see photo. Don't know if this implies anything. Would really like to stay here and would like to find out for sure without getting up close and personal re the sampling/testing route.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 544
As long as you're not scarping it off without a mask etc, Artex is actually very safe. It's been in homes for years, and having been painted over, it will have had any loose fibre sealed in. With the gap in the ceiling, you could get a tube of caulk, and seal up the gap, and I think that will deal with any problems.

If you're really worried, then do a search for artex asbestos testing, and read up on the isses, and where to send a sample for testing. But the trouble with doing that, is that you're then disturbing the covering, so you test it for asbestos, and then expose yourself to danger whilst you're doing it.

Sometimes is just best to leave well alone. You're going to get this problem in almost any place you rent, and and you've been in the room already, so if there is any particle floating round the room, then they've already got you. Asthma isn't a precursor for problems, and shouldn't be worried about. But it's down to you at the end of the day.

True about fibres may have got airborne already, but just like to find out for peace of mind. Not sure if it's a predominantly female trait to worry obsessively after the fact...tho gut instinct is it's plaster as not white enough to be artex. Read somewhere tho that plaster should be pink inside when broken not white and this definitely white. I'm sure a plasterer could tell from looking. Don't want to cut.
Thank you again

Not just a female trait, had a bloke on recently with the same concerns; he sent a sample off for testing, and it came back negative. Finish plaster is pink, decorative plaster is white.

Ok - in for a penny.....
More photos of a 'tear' and bubbling and one of hallway outside. The former in zoom looks sort of brown on edges/underneath. Any definitive thoughts now?!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 980
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 893
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 932
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 855
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 929
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 905
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 955
My thoughts are still the same, and you're still panicking. Are you looking for someone else to give you the courage to find somewhere else to live

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back