Artex or textured paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bathroom ceiling has been peeling for a few months maybe a year. I always thought it was textured paint but now I'm not sure after reading about artex.

Is there anyway to tell if it's artex or textured paint? It's very thin?

I'm absolutely scared now of the dangers of asbestos as we have children.

I have contacted some companies but waiting to hear back and may be a while since it's a weekend.

It's an ex council house, built around 60s/70s.

Attachments

• PXL_20230901_231546203.jpg
    PXL_20230901_231546203.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 101
  • PXL_20230901_231727486.jpg
    PXL_20230901_231727486.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 115
  • PXL_20230902_113328221.jpg
    PXL_20230902_113328221.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 101
  • PXL_20230902_113334287.jpg
    PXL_20230902_113334287.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
That's artex. It's a stipple pattern and a very thin mix as no depth to spikes.
Paint is peeling because of the condensation and steam.
How old is house?
Is every ceiling in the house a stipple pattern so probably done when house was built?

I can see the paper tape over the crack lifting away. If that's a white paper tape is unlikely to asbestos in the artex. That paper tape became popular after asbestos was banned. If it's brown paper tape it could be any age, as still sold today although not as popular as the white paper tape.

Just get it tested. Nothing to worry about if left alone for now

Last edited:
Thanks, house was built around 60s/70s and theres only one other room upstairs that has this. The living room had a different pattern. No other rooms have it and are all just plain.

So are we in a lot of danger?

No danger if you leave it. No dust from it as it is.
A person has come to artex your 3 ceilings some time after house was built then as part of renovation work.
Get a test kit

Sponsored Links
Okay thank you for your replies. Ill get it tested, waiting to hear back from my local council as I believe they can.

Looks like you may have a shower as the stream has desolved the artex as it looks flat in one area?

There are many layers of paint which I can see is thick so that tells us the steam has been a constant problem. Lot's of paint was applied to try and stop the surface problem.
I guess there is very little insulation above that ceiling which leaves the plasterboard exposed to the cold loft. This causes condensation to form when warm moist air hits the cold plasterboard..

I think there may have been a cupboard there a long time ago and the previous owner put a shower in place?
Guilty of the steam I love my hot baths, that would make sense. We had the ventilation put in ourselves last year and haven't been here that long. There's also no rad in here which may not help the situation especially in cold weather.

Artexed before cupboard taken out then..

Rarely enough insulation above bathrooms I found over there years. In winter if you put your hand under the insulation it feels warm. Doing it's job, also stops the condensation on ceiling and the problems caused.

Anyway. Get it tested.
No asbestos in artex for around 30 years but we don't have much of a clue when it was done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back