Bathroom Disaster !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we recently had our bathroom done, well i say done, its not actually finished yet (3 weeks after start date). we bought our house in november and really wanted the bathroom done first, so we've saved up and bought ourselves a suite, nice corner bath, the works, we didn't scrimp on anything, so we got someone in to save a bit of time to plumb it in and tile as we were due to go on holiday for a few days, I thought at least we wouldn't be in the way while the guy was working. anyway, before we went away everything seemed to be going to plan, things were coming on well. heres a list of what happened and below a list of things still not finished.

Monday 18th: they arrive and start knocking down the walls, really cracking on with it.

Tuesday 19th: tiles off the wall, ceiling taken down and old suite taken out, toilet put back in so we can use it before we go away.

Weds/Thursday/Friday/Saturday: on holiday.

Sunday 24th: we return from holiday, no floor but everything else looks nearly done, grout still needed putting on walls, no door to bathroom, leak in kitchen from hot water feed, after looking for it there is a kitchen towel round the hot water feed which is soaking wet, plumber denies all knowledge. In addition to this, the boiler no has stopped working as the leak is right above the boiler. no hot water/heating! leak is "fixed" and he finishes the floor and tells us not to walk on it for 2 hours.

Monday 25th: walk on the floor and it cracks the grout, all tiles are moving. leak is back in kitchen, worse than ever, which he comes to fix at night. A man from Dyno-Rod lives over the road so he looks at it, looks at the bath which he says is un-stable, feet are on the floor board not on a frame, one foot is half on the board half hanging over.

Friday 28th: comes back to re-do the floor, left for 4 1/2 hours first time we walk on it, cracked. finished off grouting, put door on (sort of).
Job finished !!

Door doesn't shut (no fittings attached)
Not plastered the ceiling fully
Wall tiling un-even and covered in grout
Floor tiles cracked / moving (after being put down twice)
Pipe work on basin showing
Toilet leaking / not boxed in
Shower not fixed to the wall properly
Bath legs bending and not on framework
Bath seal broke and moves when filled with water.
Brand new carpet on landing ruined
Back bedroom (where they cut the tiles) is thick with dust, broken tiles, grout everywhere
Junk left in backyard for us to move

can anyone offer any advice?

Sponsored Links
Did you have a written estimate/quote detailing the work they were intending to do?

Sponsored Links
well, we were chatting to a guy in the pub who said he had his own tiling and plastering company, we've known him for ages and he's always been okay and he told us he had done several bathrooms etc blar blar blar, my girlfriends boss has had a few of their houses done by this guy so we thought he was okay (hes a property developer).

No, we didn't get a written quote! just verbal, and it was pretty cheap, I now know why!!

I need to speak to them tonight before i know whats happening, but he's been paid in full, stupid i know, but this is our first house and i suppose we have to make these mistakes!!

hey you really need a new bathroom fitter. sounds like they've made quite a few mistakes

before we comment further can you take pictures please of all the areas of bad workmanship. You can upload them to somewhere like tinypic.com

thanks.

call malinda messinger and that baldy wee cockney bloke.please tell me your not one of those pay upfront customers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back