Is this a fair quote for a shower floor fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we just bought a new house. The inspector noticed what appeared to be cracks in the shower tile floor (the shower is 4'x4', the tiles are 1''x1''), which were sealed. However a contractor who we invited found that there were no cracks and what seemed to be a sealing material was actually an efflorescence buildup coming from below the tile. He removed a few tiles, and found moisture underneath even though the shower hasn't been used for months. He explained that it was because the shower pan wasn't properly filled, and the drain ended up being to high, so the water would get trapped underneath the tile. He gave me the following estimate to fix it - this is labor only. Do you guys think it's reasonable? Seems very high to me.

"
All 1" x 1" floor tile will be removed to asses the repair. The drain needs some work done to which will be determined during the job. Next. the shower pan will be re- poured and floated with proper grade. The tile under the step on the inside of the shower will also need to be removed and re -installed on top of the new floor tile. To finish with grouting of all replaced tile. The first horizontal grout line just above the floor will be re grouted too. I will also try to clean up the discolored grout on the floor that someone tried to repair with a different color so it will look more uniform.
$2,600.00
-$260.00 (10% discount for Angie's List Customer)
---------------
$2,340.00 plus tax. Labor only
"

Sponsored Links
why dont you get a couple of quotes?
if your not sure about the price

Sorry, I didn't know this was UK-only. Will try to find a similar forum in US...

Sponsored Links
I need to relocate to New York......seems like there's a few bob to be made.. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back