Bathroom downlights have no earth?

Correct, but then surely a block connector attached to piece of metal prevents it from being class 2. Since screws can come loose over time etc?
Not per se.
I think you will find that if the cable has restraints and the block is covered (by insulating material) that will be sufficient.

After all, as well as what I said above about the lamp socket, Class 2 products will have to have a means of connection.

I think you are expecting too much in relation to Class 2 products.

Sponsored Links
.... They come with 10year guarantee which is good as the LED isn't replaceable. ....
The main problem with these long warranties is that it would be fairly unusual if the identical product were still available (from the manufacturer) after 10 years (or even, in many cases, a lot less then that) - so one might have to be prepared for at least a little possible difference in appearance if one did have to get a replacement under warranty.

In situations like that, my inclination usually is to acquire at least a spare or two at the time the originals are installed - but I often forget to (or feel too mean to!) actually do it!

Kind Regards, John

That's not a bad idea actually, while mine are still available I might check the price and grab a couple.
I try to avoid 'bad ideas' :)

As I said, it's a good idea if one can remember (and feel inclined) to do it. It makes most sense when (as often with downlights) there are a lot of them. If there were only two or three 'somethings', I'd be more inclined to 'gamble' and be prepared to possibly have to replace all (two or three) of them if one of them ever required replacement.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If it stops one benighted person from installing them it will have achieved something worthwhile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back