Bathroom dry lining help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon guys

I'm getting my house boarded ready for the plasterer....I can't reach him and need some advice please...

RE en suite I am having as a wet room so have ordered some hardibacker board for shower enclosure walls and ceiling and MR board for the rest.

Questions-

1) hardibacker on the shower walls and ceiling immediately above - will normal drywall screws cut the mustard as they are fairly heavy boards...?

2) just read on a search that MR board is pointless if you are skimming over, but I assumed the MR would offer better protection? Am I missing something?

TIA all

Deano

Sponsored Links
Never heard of hardibacker on a ceiling, it's only for areas that are likely to get water damaged by leaking tiles so that doesn't sound right to me. I normally use it in showers only up to about shoulder height.
Yes normal drywall screws for it
Not aware that you can't skim green boards either, I've skimmed them for people before

Thanks 23...

RE ceiling that's me being overkill I think.....quite weighty so don't fancy it on the ceiling if it isn't necessary. I'll use the MB.

when you Google things, so much are from sites from the US, I'm ignoring the advice that MB shouldn't be skimmed, otherwise why would it be supplied in square edge !!

I will therefore use hardibacker in the immediate shower area upto ceiling height (I have enough boards now anyway!) And moisture everything else.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back