Bathroom electrics - need 2 feeds from an existing socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This is my first post, so please be gentle :eek: . I am starting to re-fit my bathroom, and am installing a spa bath, and also a bathroom TV. The only sensible way I can think of of getting the required power into the bathroom is by an exisiting socket on the other side of the internal (stud) wall to the bathroom, this is (conveniently?) located on opposite side of the wall where the bath will be.

From what i have researched, it seems i need to fit a RCB fused spur to for the spa bath, (I have a very old consumer unit with no RCB) then run another spur for the bathroom TV from this, which will go on the adjoining wall. Im goint to take the plasterboard off and run the cable from the first spur (RCB fused) to the second spur so should all be hidden in wall. Im aware that there shouldnt be any insulation near the wiring (incase it gets too hot?)

So, a few questions - I appreciate I need to check that the existing socket isnt already a spur, im pretty sure it isnt, so all being well, will run the wire from this to the RCB fused spur for the spa bath. Where would you recomment this be located? I can either locate it under the bath itself (obviously away from the pipes, and the bath would be siliconed so no water should get anywhere near it) but then there is an issue if i dont have a removable bath panel, and fully tile the front of the bath, if i ever need to get access to reset it, so would it be sensible to locate this on the wall high up above the bath so i can get access to it? (Have i answered my own question here?) It would obvioulsy look neater out of sight, but in reality would i need to get to it to reset it (ever)? If i would, then i'm stuffed, I would either need a removable bath panel, or a big hammer to smash off my very expensive tiles :rolleyes:

Second question - can i just run a second spur from this RCD fused spur unit? From what ive researched it appears I can, as the circuit should be protected by the first fused spur? But what sort of cable should I be using to run both the RCD fused spur from current socket, and then the 2nd spur from the RCD fused spur for the bathroom TV?

Apologies if this has been posted before, but i couldnt find anything that answered both of my questions above.

Many thanks for any help on this

:D

Sponsored Links
Okay - grand plans - butttt lets get the legal issues out in front first.
If you intend to do this work yourself you will be required to notify your Local Authority Building Control before you start any electrical work, pay their fee and provide them with the necessary electrical test certificates. The alternative is to get a registered electrician in to do the work for you.

The electrical work falls under part p of the building regulations but there is a whole host of other building regulations that you will need to comply with in completing your bathroom.

What you propose is possible though it would be unwise for me or I believe anyone else on this site to give you specific instructions on how to complete your electrical installation. There are just too many potential lethal issues that could crop up and, sorry to say, seriously damage you.

Bathroom electrics are potentially the most dangerous part of any installation and I honestly believe you should get a professional in to help you sort out your requirements.

It would obvioulsy look neater out of sight, but in reality would i need to get to it to reset it (ever)? If i would, then i'm stuffed, I would either need a removable bath panel, or a big hammer to smash off my very expensive tiles :rolleyes:
Which you'll also need if anything ever goes wrong with any of the plumbing or the working parts of the bath. Leaks, blockages, pumps failing, that sort of thing....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back