bathroom extract fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am installing bathroom extract fans
do these require to be isolated ie. from a Switch Fused Connection Unit? (does this require to be double pole or triple pole)
can the SFCU be mounted at any height outside the bathroom?
am i ok just to put the fan on its own ie. not on the light circuit?
can i just wire twin and earth 1.5mm sq. from the SFCU to a fan switch, situated beside the light switch?

sorry for all the questions
help very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Triple pole isolator, you could haver this on its own supply, however it is much more common to have this operated from the lighting circuit so that when the lights go off, the fan goes off :)

thanks guys

i just want to put the extractor fan on its own circuit
can i site the isolator switch at any height, i really want to put it right up next to ceiling with the gap so you are supposed to have from ceilings
i will take feed into isolator then to a switch situated next to the light switch
is this ok?

Sponsored Links
You don't really mean on its own circuit, do you, you just don't want it controlled by the light switch.

1) Is it a timed-overrun fan?

2) Does it require fusing down from the 5/6A of the lighting circuit?

Depending on the answers to those you may not need a fan isolator at all.

3) Have you considered a humidistat fan, so it just comes on automatically when needed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back