Extraction fans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are requirements when installing fan in a bathroom?

Minimum height?

Triple pole fan isolator, can this be mounted inside bathroom(if it can what are regs requirement) or does it have to be outside.

Also, do you need to supply it off a fused spur or do fans come with own internal fuse? :?:

Sponsored Links
Odd questions...

You need to look at bathroom zoning as a first priority.

The isolator is usually placed outside the bathroom, but could be placed in zones 3 or outside of the zones if you really wanted. If the fan is an inline type, in a loft, the bestplace for the isolator is adjacent the fan - in the loft.

The fan will usually be fed via the lighting circuit, usually directly, with no additional fusing. I will say, however, that most install instructions do say a 3amp fuse is required! This is usually them trying to cover their arses. You could install an unswitched FCU If you felt it warrented it.

Height of the fan?? No regs say a fixed height - again, the zones come into play. A 240v fan, if placed in zone 1, must be protected by a 30mA RCD, and be IPx4 rated (or IPx5 if subjected to jets). If in zone 2, RCD Protection can be ommited, but the IP rating still stands. Zone 3 and beond - no restrictions.

The safest bet for a DIYER.......an inline type - not in the bathroom, so doesn't have to comply to the regs outlined in the 'special locations' part of the regs.

Sorry if my wording is crap - alchohole works wonders...

Thanks Lecky :p , i'm currently at 1st fix stage on my house. Will get measuring tape out tomorrow and put isolator boxes inside bathroom/ensuites if i comply with zone 3. I'm getting pi**ed off with sinking them into concrete blocks! :evil:

With all the practice i have had at chiselling lately i'm sure i could 'russle up' a statue or two!!!

11997_image_9.150.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back