Bathroom extraction fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,can anyone tell me why my bathroom fan is drippin water,i went into loft and found that the extraxtion pipe (which leads to the roof ) had at least 1.5 litrs of water in it,what causes this and how do i get fixing this annoyin problem...thanks

Sponsored Links
Assuming the water is not getting in from the outside, it’s got to be steam condensing on the inside of the cold ducting. It can be a problem with alluminium ducting, especially if it's long. If there are also low points in the route, water will collect there. Try & route the duct so any condensation will run to the outside & you could try lagging the outside of the duct to try & prevent the steam condensing in the first place. How long has the fan been installed & who installed it?

1.5l of water is a hell of a lot to have accumulated, even if the duct is uninsulated. Its not even cold yet :eek:

Seems more likely to be water coming into the duct from the external vent

Hi Richard,the fan was in when the house was built about 15 years ago,the ducting itself is not alluminium but plastic and flexible,i have tried tried stretching it so there is no place for water to gather but for some reason especially after showers.water drips out of fan,not a lot but still is annoying,may i just add this has happened in all year round regardless of weather

Sponsored Links
Hi Woody,i know yes 1.5litre is well alot and not so good wen it drips out of fan as your on toilet :mad: i have checked the outlet in roof visually and all seems ok,no signs of water

Hi. As has already been stated insulation may improve things. My concern would be the potential mixing of water and electricity in the bath room, not a pretty site. The same thing occurs in some flue systems and is designed out by adding a condense pipe. Difficult to archive with flex duct but far from impossible. Cut the duck close to the fan in loft space add a branch of say plastic reduce branch to 3/4" over flow pipe and discharge out side building via soffit or fascia. Good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back