Bathroom extractor fan confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My house is only 4 years old but I want to replace the existing en suite extractor fan. Currently it is a simple on off fan controlled by its own switch. However it does not have an isolation switch above the door like the main bathroom does (no idea why).

I want to replace it with a fan with a timer, which I know will involve replacing the wiring with 3 core and earth, I presume it is only twin and earth at the moment, and also add in an isolation switch.

The fan is probably in zone 2, maybe zone 3, around a corner from the actual shower where no water can splash onto it, in the ceiling and not over a sink etc.

Question is, is this work notifiable? Any chance there cables are already 3 core and earth and the original installers were just lazy and didnt put in an isolation switch? Why didn't they add in an isolation switch for the en suite but did for main bathroom?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Why not fit a fan with a motion sensor and timer? You won't need to change the cabling then - just leave the pull switch permanently in the ON position.

That did cross my mind, but I would still prefer to install an isolation switch to be extra safe and make it consistent with the other bathroom / utility room extractor fans.

As Bargain Bucket suggested, I am just going to fit a fan with a motion sensor and timer to save the trouble. But an isolator switch is definitely not required? The fan already has its own independent switch next to the light swtich.

Sponsored Links
An update on this for whoever may be looking in the future in a similar position as me. I contacted the house builder and they sent an electrician out to install an isolation switch, I think it was just missed as the wiring was already there behind the plasterboard ready for the switch!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back