New bathroom fan. Isolator required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Refurbing our spare bathroom.
No extractor fan fitted and want to add one.

I have run 3 core and earth from the lighting circuit (MF Wago box) to near where the fan will be.
Should I be adding a 3 pole isolator? I intend to fit a fan with a timer.

The fan in the other bathroom doesn't have an isolator so wasn't sure if a requirement.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The only reason I can think to fit an isolator is so that you can turn off the fan if its noisy at night ............. but if its going to be a rental property certainly don't fit one

Sponsored Links
Well if it`s timed overun and it jams and starts to smoke I would prefer the option of a local isolator to kill the power rather than throwing the whole supply off at the mains in the dark of night!

Well if it`s timed overun and it jams and starts to smoke I would prefer the option of a local isolator to kill the power rather than throwing the whole supply off at the mains in the dark of night!
Maybe, but (as always :) ), in an attempt to put this into perspective, I have to wonder whether the probability of an extractor fan 'starting to smoke' is more or less than the probability of a person being struck by lightning :)

I actually have, in my time, experimented to see what happens if one deliberately 'jams' one of these extractor fans, and the answer seems to be EITHER'nothing much happens' (the increased current drawn not being enough to cause any problems) OR, if things start heating up, the motor almost always has a 'thermal cut-out' .... I certainly saw nothing approaching 'smoke'!

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Nevertheless as I wrote in answer to the OP's question it is not required by the regulations and it is up to him

I clean mine sometimes. I am not so poor that I can't afford a switch.

Some people like to clean or repair their fans by turning off the lighting circuit at the consumer unit. ... So they have to work during daylight hours, relying on the window.
Ironically, if there is a window, and if they could be educated to open it, then they might well not need the fan in the first place, so there would be nothing to clean or repair ;)

... but there would, of course, still be the same issue as you describe if they wanted to clean or repair the light fitting(s), and no isolator would avoid that problem!

It is (or a least it was) more common than being struck by lightning for a fan to grossly overheat and go on fire/smoke according to a couple of my fire brigade contacts - I mean actual fire/smoke type situations they have attended or investigated forensically, it does happen or it did happen and they took the stance that a timed overrun fan needed an isolator close to the fan or say immediately outside the bathroom. Without timed overrun/humidistat etc it was not important because a flick of the lightswitch would suffice (although better for cleaning etc) .

I have seen the aftermath of a few after the event too. It should be an event rarer than being struck by lightning but it is a lot more frequent though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back