Bathroom extractor fan dripping down wall

Sponsored Links
So if there is no duct I could add one. Or if the duct is somewhat loose inside the hole, I could pack it out to make it slope accordingly?

With luck.

The airbrick is not usual, so your fitting might be odd.

Ducting is absolutely essential in a cavity wall, or steam can blow into the cavity.

If necessary you could core out the brickwork to 110mm. If you work from inside the bricks will spall but a vent will hide it.

Okay thanks, I'll turn the power off at the weekend and take it off the wall and see what is behind.

It's a newish house, and all of them on the estate have their extractors (bathroom and kitchen) terminating in an air brick. Of course, that's not to say it's correct

Sponsored Links
I think you need to remove the fan and take pictures of what you see. As you have the 100 mm diameter on the inside and a brick vent on the outside it could be that the warm air is indeed condensing and running back to the fan

If that’s the case remedial action is required

How long ago was it fitted?

The house is 6 years old. I've lived here for a year and it was fitted when the house was built.

New build. Hardly unexpected

Could you take the fan out and photo what you can see?
Yep, I'm going to flip the fuse most likely on Sunday and take the fan off the wall. I'll post a photo.

I'd also like to re-fit the fan the right way up but it will depend on whether there is enough slack in the cable or whether it's been cut off with nothing to spare.

Just an update on this, I was busy that weekend so never got around to removing the fan. With the cover off though, I was able to see inside and what I noticed is that the condensation seems to only form around the cover/grill of the fan. Just in front of the propellers and just behind looks dry - in other words it doesn't look like water running down the ducting but rather just condensing on the case itself. The same fan in the other bathroom does exactly the same and that one is fitted on the ceiling with lagged ductwork in the loft.

It's not helped by the fact that the walls are painted with a matt based paint (probably to help everything dry out when the house was first built) and this is marked by streaks of water much more easily - I suspect the drips would wipe away more easily and be less noticeable on a silk type kitchen/bathroom paint.

Swap fan for a better one. Cut out air brick and replace with a circular one and fit tube to outside vent. You prob not getting enough airflow to outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back