Bathroom extractor pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help, I’m borderline going crazy with this. We had a leak from the pipe that connects the en-suite bathroom pipe to the ceiling extractor fan.

No tradesperson seems to want to touch the job and I don’t know which trade is even the night one. Iv had plumbers, electricians and even just a general handyman round and no one seems to want to help fix it

The ceiling I can get sorted, however I want to make sure the extractor is all sorted before starting that.

Which trade is most suited to this type of job does everyone reckon?

Attachments

• 1140962E-90DD-47C2-820A-E402FC0EB2E9.jpeg
    1140962E-90DD-47C2-820A-E402FC0EB2E9.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 717483DE-655B-4FA9-B7C1-AC5B7C438906.jpeg
    717483DE-655B-4FA9-B7C1-AC5B7C438906.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
It looks like the vent goes out through the roof, in which case a roofer would be the best bet.

However, are you sure there actually is a leak, and it's not condensation forming inside the duct when the warm wet air from the bathroom passes through the cold pipe in the loft and condenses? It's been pretty cold lately. The condensation would run back down inside the duct and into the bathroom. If that's the problem insulating the duct along it's entire length would help.

It looks like the vent goes out through the roof, in which case a roofer would be the best bet.

However, are you sure there actually is a leak, and it's not condensation forming inside the duct when the warm wet air from the bathroom passes through the cold pipe in the loft and condenses? It's been pretty cold lately. The condensation would run back down inside the duct and into the bathroom. If that's the problem insulating the duct along it's entire length would help.
Thank you
I’m not very DIY savvy so really been struggling with all of this. I assume it is condensation running down the pipe. Had a bother look last night and the part where the pipe connects to the top of the extractor fan has no tape to fully connect it and was just sitting there for years so gave it room to leak

Then your answer is to fit the pipe onto the back of the fan and secure it with some duct tape/gorilla tape.
Save you paying someone through the nose for something you can do yourself.

Sponsored Links
These things can be difficult to find. I would certainly fix the duct onto the fan asap, otherwise the steam from the bathroom could be escaping into the loft space and cause the roof timbers to rot. I would try insulating the duct first. If you still get the moisture, if you can manage without the fan for a while (perhaps best done in summer when you can open a window, if you have one) disconnect the end of the duct from the fan and put it in a bucket after it's rained a few times have a look and see if there's any water in the bucket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back