Advice on choosing a bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

I would be really grateful for some advice on buying an extractor fan for my bathroom.

I know that the usual versions come on whenever you turn on the light switch and run off a timer from the time that the light is switched off again.

I was hoping to find something a little bit more specific in its function.

I need an extractor fan that is independent from the light switch (i.e. although it runs off the electrics here, its activation is not dictated by the light switch) and has its own pull switch as well as a humidistat.

The point being as follows:

1. I want the extractor fan to automatically get rid of any moisture from the bathroom and
2. If someone has a “numero dos” I want that person to be able to pull a cord on the extractor fan itself and run it for, say, 10 minutes, to get rid of any odour, even if the bathroom is completely dry.

I don’t really like the idea of the fan activating for no reason in the middle of the night just because someone has popped in for a quick pee.

Can anyone recommend a make and model that would do the job?

I have looked around and it does (for some reason) appear that this combination of functions is not particularly common.

OR, should I just accept that this is how extractor fans are supposed to work and get a regular one that comes on with the light switch and has a humidistat override?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What size is the room? (cubic metres)
Where will the fan be mounted?
Do you have RCD protection on intend circuit of installtion?
are you aware of building controls notice for bath/shower rooms?

Also although you say you don't want connection to light, normally an isolator is fitted that can be used to switch fan off at night, but keep light functional, so to avoid sleep interferences.

Any bog(!) standard fan with humidistat and overrun will do.
You still have permanent live and neutral, which will run the fan via the humidistat as required.
Then you replace she switched live trigger from the light for a switched live trigger from a pull cord switch.
The whole circuit should be fed from a 2 pole switch fuse.
Your biggest problem could be someone activating the switch, then forgetting to switch off, because the fan keeps going anyway.
It might be better to use a push button like a door bell only suitable rated.
I'm sure someone on the electrical forum could tell you the best product.

We've just had an Envirovent fan fitted in the bathroom. It works via a humidistat, but is on 24/7 at low speed. The humidistat switches it to boost.

Be wary of the 24/7 trickle vent option as it seems to suck the heat out of the room. Opening the door from the hall after the heat has not been on for a while, the room is noticably colder (I mean colder, not cooler!) than the hall, which was not the case prior to the fan being fitted.

There are heat-recovery versions on the market.
Envirovent do one: http://www.envirovent-specifier.com/heat-sava.php

Sponsored Links
I don’t really like the idea of the fan activating for no reason in the middle of the night just because someone has popped in for a quick pee.
tell us more about this

some people have an aversion to ventilation and will not turn on fans or open windows. The only way to defeat them is to have the fan come on automatically.

City Electrical had a really quiet fan on display @ one of their branches :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back