bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I am a complete novice on all things diy and am looking for some advice on replacing a bathroom extractor fan. I do not intend to do this myself but am looking for some guidance on the type of fan that we can have.

We have shower room measuring 1.2meters in width, 3.2meters in length & 2.45meters in height, it is an internal room with no windows or external vents.

Currently we have a Greenwood Airvac extractor fan that comes on immediately when the light switch is pulled and stays on about 10 minutes after the light is switched off, it has a flume that runs across the loft ceiling to a vent outside and is exceptionally noisy! We live in new houses and our neighbours also have the same fan, when they turn theirs on at 6am, it is so loud that it wakes my son up.

Unfortunately I do not know that the exisiting model type is only the brand name.

We are looking at replacing our fan with ideally a silent one and suggesting that our neighbours do the same!!!

any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
These fans (Screwfix 15927) are pretty quiet, although all will produce some noise......maybe yours is excessively so due to vibration or resonance?
Either way, when you go looking for a replacement, you need to track down a timed one of the same size. Popular hole sizes are 112mm, but some are 100mm - a little homework is needed there.
You'll pay anything between £10 and £60, depending on the design and specification.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Bet it`s surface mounted and about 1980`s build :idea: - covered in dust and would benifit from a thoro` clean - might help a bit - but we were chucking them and fitting new back in late 80`s :LOL:

thank you for your replies, like I said I am a novice so can only describe what I see,

The fan was fitted about 4 years ago so I am assuming is that old.

It has been cleaned a few times but the noise has never lessened.

The flume is flexible (a bit like an outlet on a tumble dryer)

The fan is built into the ceiling, so from the ground the grill is level with the ceiling, then their is a box above it that goes into the loft.

I look forward to your replies

They kept going for a while then :idea: Didn`t seem very good ones to us :cry:

Which ever extractor you choose to install make sure it has a humdity stat built into it.This will enable it to cut in as and when its required :)

The flume is flexible (a bit like an outlet on a tumble dryer)

if you want less noise fit an inline fan :idea: :idea: ;)

c0e4270242b512e6d18701ed29b1ff51.image.100x80.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back