Moisture gathering on extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just replaced my 100mm bathroom extractor fan with a more powerful 150mm fan. I'm using two reducers (150mm to 125mm then 125mm to 100mm and then onto the 100mm ducting). I then have a cowled vent cover on the outside which fits to the 100mm ducting. The fan is fitted to the wall of the bathroom, not through the ceiling.

After having my shower this morning I noticed a fair amount of condensation building up and dripping from the casing of the fan. Is the reduction of 150mm to 100mm restricting the performance of the fan and the damp air that it can't remove is condensing on the plastic instead ?

Thanks, Lee.

Sponsored Links
If the fan is moving air then I would suspect one of two problems:-

Not enough INPUT air to create an adequate flow of dry air. How is the extracted air replaced?

Not staying on long enough. How is it timed?

Tony

I'm not sure what you mean about replacing the extracted air. I suppose if the door and window are closed then the fan is sucking out all of the air in the room and not just the damp air, I don't know how that would create condensation on the fan casing though.

It isn't on a timer, it turns on and off with the lights. If the room is particularly misty I'll leave the lights on for 10mins or so until it clears. The moisture build up happened while the shower was running.

Thanks for your reply.

Sponsored Links
There will be very little flow if you don't have a way for make up air to enter the room.

The fan can suck virtually no air out of the room. It only creates a flow.

Its normal to have a timed over run or better a humidity switch.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back