bathroom fan question about ducting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,(hope ive posted in right place)

Ive nearly fitted a fan in the bathroom,drilled the holes ready for mounting,there was a plastic vent on the wall inside which ive took off,made a few adjustments.

The fan (150mm 6") fits in nicely ,im leaving the original air brick outside so no need mess with that.......do i need to put on a ducting on the end of the fan?.......from where the fan is to the brick is 8 inch long....i was told to put a ducting on and that will do.

If the fan is 150mm (6 inch) do i get a ducting a bit bigger to use or do the 6" ducting stretch over? also any clips/reducers?

OR C an i use solid plastic type ducting??????

Sponsored Links
Flexible duct will fit over the spigot on the fan, it can be secured onto the spigot with duct tape or a jubilee clip. Being flexible it has the advantage of being able to accommodate holes that are not completely circular. The duct should slope downwards slightly towards the outside to prevent any condensation dripping back into the fan. Solid duct is acceptable also and can be sealed in place in the wall. With solid duct, the fan and grilles have a tight fit and can simply be pushed into place.

You will also need a proper outlet that can be secured to the other end of the duct to make a tight seal and stop moist air escaping into the structure of the wall. Just butting duct up to an airbrick will not achieve this.

Example of flexible duct
Example of wall outlet grille

You may also like to consider using an outlet grille with back draught shutters if there aren't any built into the fan. Otherwise you will have a draughty bathroom when it's windy.

Thanks stem.......will the 6 inch duct be ok for the 6 inch fan....i.e will it stretch slightly to fit over the fan? or do i need to buy 8 inch? im novice to the job mate,thanks in advance.

It's designed to fit over the fan spigot, it will be tight, but it is deliberately that way to prevent air escaping.

Sponsored Links
It's designed to fit over the fan spigot, it will be tight, but it is deliberately that way to prevent air escaping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back