Humidity sensor and condensation trap: bathroom fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been reading through the posts on shower extractor fans and I have worked out that I probably need to vent through the roof via the loft space.

My plan is to exit the roof, which is pitched and tiled, using a 4-inch solid duct that will pass vertically through an angled sealing cone and plate and will be capped with a roof cowl. I am thinking of incorporating into the system an in-line fan that will be connected with flexible ducting to the ceiling grill in the bathroom on one side and the roof on the other. I have read that in-line fan systems are much quieter, but this option might be problematic as I want to run primarily via a humidity sensor (see below).

Questions:

Where can I buy a stand-alone humidity sensor that will fit into the ceiling and will control the in-line fan? Is it best to buy an in-line fan and sensor package, if such a thing exists?

Do I need to fit a condensation trap?

If I do, I assume that this must be fitted at the lowest point in the system after the in-line fan? Can you purchase right angled bends (for 4 inch solid ducts) with condensation traps? If you can and a trap is needed, I would fit at end of vertical drop from roof. I assume that the ducts should also be lagged.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You can buy bathroom extractor fans usually in 3 flavors.

1. Standard - On or Off
2. Timer - Turns on with the lights and off 5 mins after lights off.
3. Humidistat - Turns on with lights and remains on until humidity is at the level set.

I always prefer a duct through a wall (you can hire a tool to cut a neat round hole to fit) as I think that interfering with a roof is likely to make it leak.

Is there a special reason why you can't go through a wall?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back