Condensation in Flexible Ducting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I recently replaced our old shower enclosure extractor fan with a newer, more powerful fan in our roof space.

The original fan had been left simply venting into the roof space.

I hired a core drill & drilled through both pieces of the cavity wall & continued on with the flexible ducting to a pipe through the wall & an external grille.

The best way to describe this is that the fan is in the middle of the ducting with one end terminating at the shower & the other the external wall.

I had reason to be in the roof space last weekend & I noticed that the flexible ducting, which is lying horizontally across the rafters on top of the insulation, was sagging on both sides of the fan. A quick check showed that water had condensed on both sides & was causing the ducting to sag.

I was able to empty the condensed water by disconnecting the ducting at the fan & tipping the water out each end.

My question is: what would you recommend to either prevent this condensation from re-occurring or draining away the condensed water? Any condensation traps I have seen appear to be 'in-line' & IMHO couldn't be used where the water is actually condensing.

MTIA

Soth :cool:

Sponsored Links
How long is the run?

You could insulate the pipe.

I suppose you you make the pipe rise vertically to above the level of the outlet. Then slope towards the external grille. Not a great solution though.

Sponsored Links
The correct thing to do if the insulation doesn't cure it would be to run an overflow to somewhere, depends how steamy the bathroom gets.

if the pipe is lying horizontally on the loft floor, it is easiest to flop some loft insulation over it.

Just a thougth..Make sure ducting is angling away to the external outlet and that no rain is finding its way into the duct from outside?

I wasn't sure if lagging the ducting was a good idea but - given your suggestions - I will certainly give this a try as lagging is dirt cheap in B&Q at the mo!

MT

I wasn't sure if lagging the ducting was a good idea but - given your suggestions - I will certainly give this a try as lagging is dirt cheap in B&Q at the mo!

MT

but keep it off the electrics and cable!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back