Condensation from extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed a pool of water on the ensuite floor this morning and on closer inspection it is coming from the ceiling mounted extractor fan. Initially I thought it must be a burst pipe but it is actually condensation dripping down the duct from the inside of the roof vent.

There is a radiator more or less beneath the fan so the heat must be rising through the fan in to the duct and then condensing. I haven't noticed this before as I don't normally have the heating on upstairs but did yesterday. Is there any way of preventing this? The extractor fan has self-closing fins which should prevent much of the rising heat getting in to the duct.

Sponsored Links
We must be at cross purposes. The duct is vertical link between the roof vent and the extractor fan.

Vertical link eh? Does the damp inside coincide with rain outside?

Sponsored Links
i had this issue last year.... the duct in the loft had a dip in it which allowed the condense to collect and run back into the bathroom. it was simply fixed with a few clips to allow a constant rise.

you can prevent condensation ocurring in the duct by wrapping it in insulation, so it does not chill the warm damp air. A horizontal duct is easy, a vertical one you will need to tie or tape it on. I would go for either the stuff in a plastic sleeve, or the white fibre loft insulation recently introduced, which is not glass fibre but recycled from plastic bottles. It makes no irritant dust or itchy fibres and is very clean and pleasant to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back