bathroom extractor fan sounds to work but doesnt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi peeps

i have an extractor fan in my bathroom that works when the light is switched on from a pull cord. the problem is that it makes a sound but doesn't actually spin or remove any steam. my ceiling is now moldy as a result! eek!
all it says on it is greenwood airvac.
do i need to get a new one and what will be compatible? i have a family member who is fairly good with electronics so he may be able to test a few things out for me!
ps any suggestions on what to do with the ceiling are welcome!
thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Emma,

Your problem sounds very similar to mine (see my post 'extractor fan') ended up having to purchase new fan, and experienced problems installing it !
Although my knowledge of these is virtually nil, I believe that one important factor is whether or not you have a timer on the fan.
- fan stays on for a few minutes after light is switched off.
I also have a problem with my ceiling, presumably cleaning and painting it is the only option.

bathroom fans are cheap, I'd just buy a new one.

old one might be jammed or blocked with fluff. wipe out the duct while you have it off.

you can let your friend have a tinker with the old one afterwards if you like, but unless it is very new, not worth it.

You'll need a new extractor fan, ideally similar in size so it'll be a straightforward swap. It's probably a 100mm fan.
Did it used to run on for a preset time when you swithced the light off? If so, you'll need a timer fan. Something like a Vent Axia VA100XT

As for the ceiling, give it a good clean and repaint with something along the lines of Dulux Bathroom - steam and moisture resistant.

Sponsored Links
thanks very much everyone, ill just get a new one as it sounds like it will be fairly easy to replace

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back