Bathroom extractor fan through timber framed wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience regarding putting a bathroom extractor fan in a timber framed house please (also considering one for the kitchen as well). I understand you are not supposed to put things through the walls (vapour barrier etc), does anyone have any suggestions / recommendations / experiences? I believe one option (for the bathroom) would be to vent through the roof via a vent tile but I have read stories that this set up isn’t always successful due to condensation running back down the vent pipe work. Ideally I would prefer going through the wall but unsure about whether that causes issues with breaching vapour barrier and cavity. Won’t be doing the job myself but want to know what best practice is before I find someone to do the job. Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Never worked on a timber framed house so cannot really advise about how it should be done, but I would have thought that as well as considering damp penetration issues you would also have to consider fire & smoke transfer ( I think there are specific building regs covering this) So ask your installer how he/she are going to perform the task, or consult a building inspector type person for advice.

Venting through the roof is fine as long as the fan is up to the job and powerful, it will prevent any condensation forming by shifting the moisture quickly , ducting should be as short as possible.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that - I am starting to think through the roof may be the best option all round. I'll noted to make sure the fan is powerful and ducting is short. Thank you!

To be certain you can wrap a bit of insulation around the extractor pipe/duct and fit a vent trap to drain through the soffit: https://www.toolstation.com/extractor-fan-condensation-trap-with-overflow/p73185

1000xCONDENSATION-TRAP-160MM-150MM-125MM-1.jpg

Thank you for that, looks like it would certainly mitigate against the condensation running back down. Going to be a bigger / more complex job than I expected!!! Thank you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back