Bathroom extractor fan-to switch live or not to switch live.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently considering replacing my bathroom extractor with one of the humidistat ones. However, my question is this...

I currently have to switch the light on every time I want the extractor to come on but in the summer/during the day when light is pouring in through the window I don't want the light on I just want the extractor on.

The extractor has a three pole isolator switch which is above the door frame (outside).

Do I have to have it working through the light switch or can it be wired to run straight from the isolator given the humidistat will control the on/off function of the fan when it needs too?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can do what you want.

It will need to have the wiring reconfigured...

but does the humidistat not already work the fan when the light is off?

I haven't actually bought it yet. The one I have is just a timer one. I've never used one of the humidistat ones before. Does it require two permanent lives instead to work independently from the light?

I imagine it just requires the one. It switches itself on when it detects the need.

Sponsored Links
The instructions (as such) on the web site state that it needs the standard three but there must be a way of installing one without it being dependant on the light being on.

No, not on the site. I will wait for the unit to arrive and then check. Worst case I'll have to continue with the light on but its a waste of leky given todays climate!

The instructions (as such) on the web site state that it needs the standard three but there must be a way of installing one without it being dependant on the light being on.
There is.

You can have it dependent on the humidistat alone and/or -

from its own separate (from light) switch and/or -

it may have a pull-chord to turn it on permanently or off permanently (not both) when you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back