Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to change the light fitting in my bathroom as it needed moving to a better spot.

In the loft I replaced the junction box as it was a real mess. Unfortunately when doing so I disconnected the extractor fan.

I am unsure of the make/ model but there are three wores and an earth. They are colour coded thus:

Black
Grey
Brown
Earth

I connected the black to the switch, brown to the live and grey to the neutral but no joy. Is the extractor fan dead or did I confuse my wiring?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately when doing so I disconnected the extractor fan.
That was not unfortunate.

Unfortunate was not thinking to make a note of which wires went where before disconnecting them.

Is the extractor fan dead or did I confuse my wiring?
Did it work before you fiddled with the wiring?

If so it would be a remarkable coincidence that it failed between you disconnecting and reconnecting it.

Why not look at which cores go where in the fan?

And test there with your multimeter for voltages.

Thanks for the reply ban-all-sheds. Yes, the wiring was in such a mess that it was really difficult to work out what went where, but I should have taken a picture. Unfortunately I do not possess a multimeter!

Sorry ban-all-sheds. In answer to your question. It did work before hand so I'm wondering if I've blown it!

Sponsored Links
My mistake.

Black - neutral
Grey - switching live
Brown - live

Always helps to open ones eyes!

Working now. Thanks for your help!

Was it wired wrong in the first place do you think?

It was in response to this statement Taylortwocities:

"FYI - the use of black for neutral is deprecated."

Ah
Apologies for the sarcasm, then.

Black can be neutral, but it should be sleeved blue to confirm its function as neutral.

It can, but my understanding is that it's preferable to not use it, sleeved or not, as a neutral, to try and break the black:neutral association.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back