Wiring a Manrose Extractor fan....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a replacement (Manrose) timed extractor fan for connecting to existing wiring fed from the bathroom light, and I'm not sure of the exisitng wiring.The extractor has 3 connectors for Live, Switched Live and Neutral. The cable coming from the light has 3 wires: Brown, Black and Grey and an unused earth (as per the unit being replaced, which is not a Manrose unit). Which colour is Neutral? I assume it won't matter which live is switched or that the earth is not connected to anything.... would this assumption be correct?

Sponsored Links
have a look in the bathroom light and see where the other end of the wires go.

Ok will do 2moro.
The whole house was rewired professionally approx 4 yrs ago, so I imagine industry standards were applied.

The whole house was rewired professionally approx 4 yrs ago, so I imagine industry standards were applied.

Excuse me while I roll around on the floor laughing.

The black or the grey could be neutral. The regulation is that the neutral should be sleeved blue and the switched live should be sleeved brown.
I am guess ing there's no sleeves on your wires?

So much for a professional rewire then!

Sponsored Links
Did you not look at and take a note of the existing connection prior to remove the old fan?
As Taylortwocities has pointed out even though "rolling round laughing"
it's quite obvious professional standards have not been carried out, as cable identification has not been given.
Does it say on the inspection schedules that correct "identification of conductors" where made?
If so, the electrician has lied!
But back to your problem:
Under normal circumstance you would expect the brown to be permanent live, the brown sleeved black to be switched live and the blue switched grey to be neutral.
But that is not always the method used, so you need to do some investigation, ideally with an approved piece of testing equipment.
You can identify the perm live and switch live, by the use of an approved voltage indicator. The perm live would be live at all times (whilst power is on) the switch live would only be live when functional switch was closed and neutral should show no voltage at all. This test can be made by using the earth conductor(CPC) as a reference point (BTW has the CPC been sleeved?)

This test can be made by using the earth conductor(CPC) as a reference point (BTW has the CPC been sleeved?)

This test only works if the CPC has actually been connected to earth at some point. Its a "professional" job so it must be OK :mrgreen:

PS I looked up the definition os "professional".
It basically means that one has been paid to do a job of works. The definition did not include the word competent!

some point. Its a "professional" job so it must be OK :mrgreen:

PS I looked up the definition os "professional".
It basically means that one has been paid to do a job of works. The definition did not include the word competent!

This is what I were thinking. It's only been done as someones profession, however, for years people have been missing off sleeving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back