Wiring bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, new to the forum and looking for advice on installation of new bathroom extractor fan if anyone can help.

I have replaced a very old manrose extractor fan with a new manrose 100mm mixed flow in line duct fan located in the loft. Problem is in the wiring connections, the old fan had 3 connection points (live, neutral and sw/live) whereas the new fan has only 2 (live/neutral). I want the fan to be controlled via the light switch as was the case on the old model. Question is how best to achieve this when no switched live terminal is present?

Thanks to anyone who can offer advice.

Sponsored Links
So the original fan had overrun/timed and the new one has not?
If so disconnect the perm live from the source, likely at the light fitting but could be in a number of places. Cap both ends off in terminal block, then just use the switch line to control the fan when lights are used. That would be L of the fan and neutral to neutral.

Last edited:
Thankyou PrenticeBoyofDerry for the lightening quick reply, will follow your advice.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou PrenticeBoyofDerry for the lightening quick reply, will follow your advice.
AS PBoD has said, if your new fan has only L and N connections, it will not have an over-run (i.e. continue running for a period after the light is switched off), which your previous one presumably did have.

Are you happy with not having that 'over-run'? If not, you need to get a different fan from the one you apparently have (or, more complicated, add a timer unit of some sort to the one you have bought).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back