Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of installing an extractor fan in the bathroom ceiling.

The fan we have has a timer (it was the only one we could find that incorporated a shower light as well) so needs a permanent live supply.
As we have windows and ventilation in the bathroom we don't need the fan to run on after the lights have been turned off. So, would it work (and be safe) to just not connect the permanent live supply - only connecting neutral and switched live? Would the fan then only run when the lights were turned on?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it the same as mine,I've got timer inside the box section cover with a tuner wheel type - /+ for how long you want the fan on for after light turn off.Not sure if it will solve your problem if you turn it to minus.

Not connecting the permanent live supply will mean the fan will operate only when the light is on ..... assuming it's off the same switchwire!

as alexnic said if you connect the permanent live and the switched live of the fan to the live from the switch (switched live) then the fan canonly run as long as the switch and light are on, and it will do it no harm, but you will have to increase the timer on the fan as if not it will only run for as it is set for, (as it thinks it has a permanent live feed which it doesnt)

Sponsored Links
In short Simon, take your switched live and neutral from the lights to the fan and connect to the live(L) and neutral(N) terminals.Put a link in between the switch-live(SW) terminal and the live terminal(L), turn the timer to maximum and it should work on and off with the lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back