Bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sons house is about 6 years old and he wants a new bathroom ceiling extractor fan fitted..existing one is pathetic not timed. So I've looked into the the isolation switch and both sides have 3 wires and earth. Has this been wire with the intention of a timed fan.?

Sponsored Links
Probably!
Have you got a multimeter, to check the connections?
What is the wiring like at the fan?

Hi.i haven't got to the fan yet to see what's their.. just hopeing to see three wires.

I'm thinking with it being a fairly new build they have wired three core and earth. But put nasty cheap fan in.

Sponsored Links
Has he considered one with a humidistat and over timer over run?

I have been extremely pleased with the humidistat fan in my upstairs bathroom. It is, by default, set to run only when the humidity reaches a given level (but can be turned on manually). I didn't want a fan that runs if someone uses the loo whilst everyone else is sleeping, additionally, I knew that no one would turn the lights on if showering at 8AM in the middle of the summer.

The fan in the downstairs shower room is much more expensive. It is an Icon 60. Again, it is not on the lighting radial. It has a motion sensor and humidistat. It is less reliable. Either the IR sensor occasionally sees dead people or the humidistat is too sensitive.

I do however know a couple of people with Vent-Axia humidistat fans that are way too sensitive and on the lowest setting will kick in if it rains.

Modern fans with ball-bearing motors can be very quiet, and use insignificant electricity, so I am in favour of them coming on with the light switch and having a timed overrun. If there is access to the lighting ceiling rose a timed connection is easy.

If this fan is ducted through the ceiling, you can get some very fine extractors with much more power than builders usually fit. If he likes steamy showers IMO he will benefit from at least 240 cu.m/hr. The duct is most likely 100mm diameter.

Will he be looking for a cheap solution, or a good one?

3 core and earth should be fine for timed fan. Have found the vent axxia to be efficient and quiet on a suitable overrun setting

Blup

Sons house is about 6 years old and he wants a new bathroom ceiling extractor fan fitted..existing one is pathetic not timed. So I've looked into the the isolation switch and both sides have 3 wires and earth. Has this been wire with the intention

Sons house is about 6 years old and he wants a new bathroom ceiling extractor fan fitted..existing one is pathetic not timed. So I've looked into the the isolation switch and both sides have 3 wires and earth. Has this been wire with the intention of a timed fan.?
Got a sparky to have a look. It turns out it's wired 3 core and earth. Just the permanent live was isolated in the wall switch. Apparently that's the way they wire now using the wall switch for a permanent live instead of the ceiling rose. He even said he didn't like this method . Old way was best...I'm OLD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back