Bathroom Extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had an Electrician around and unfortunately he couldn't fit a bathroom extractor through the wall facing outside (terraced house) as one part was part of the brick chimney and he couldn't install in between bathroom windows as there is an old air brick and the width is not big enough, too risky he's says with the drill. He then suggested an extractor in the ceiling and get a roofer to lodge a plastic pipe (please let me know the name of this pipe?) in the attic and through the roof tiles, this way the extractor could be installed the air would go through the extractor in the bathroom ceiling and make its way up through the ceiling/roof outside.

Anyone have experience of this? I gather this is my only option at this stage without building work been carried out, I guess that's why the previous owner never installed an bathroom extractor!

Sponsored Links
Is there a soffit?

Often in this case the fan can go on the ceiling, then a flexi-duct run from here, above the ceiling, and out through the soffit, with a soffit grille fitted.

Do you have a wide enough soffit to route the duct out of the attic that way?

ht064_5.jpg

Edit: I'm too slow, my excuse is trying to find the picture.

Sponsored Links
Is there a soffit?

Often in this case the fan can go on the ceiling, then a flexi-duct run from here, above the ceiling, and out through the soffit, with a soffit grille fitted.

It's a bit late now to see if I have a soffit but thanks for the info, I've called a roofer to assess things.

It's a bit late now to see if I have a soffit but thanks for the info, I've called a roofer to assess things.
No real problem, since I imagine that roofers do soffits as well as rafters, slates and tiles :)

Kind Regards, John

Is there a soffit?

I should have thought you would know if you have a soffit.

It's the horizontal bit between the top of the outside wall and the bottom of the faschia board.

If you have one it will be considerably easier than getting someone to fit a tile vent through the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back