Extractor fan in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to install an extractor fan in my bathroom and I'm hoping to do it wih minimal disruption to the ceiling and walls. There is a vent already, obviously on an outside wall, which looks to be a good place to install the new extractor. I'll get a spark in to do it but is it a difficult job and is it likely to involve any re-plastering?

Sponsored Links
It might be... but without seeing the whole location, I really can't say further. Most electrical work involves disruption and making good after but, again, without seeing it I can't tell.

hi
bring the supply in from above you should be able to sink a spur unit into the wall without too much of a mess , if it's a plaster wall even better .
If you are not using a spur unit then use a small piece of trunking just above the fan , it should not be too noticable.
One other tip if you are very carefull try to cut and peel the wallpaper away bury the cable under this area plaster it then re fix the wall paper.

Takes a bit of time but can make a good job.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that an extractor only works if air can get in. If you've got a double glazed house you need trickle vents for inflow. If this vent is the inflow, closing it off may leave you short of ventilating air.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. I've only just moved in so I might wait to see how things work out during the winter before getting an extractor. I might not actually need one as the bathroom isn't at all damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back