bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi fellas,
plan to install an extractor fan in bathroom, not sure whether to install into an outside wall or into the ceiling and vent through the soffits. I have read a few posts in which some people have wired the fan into a ceiling rose so as when the light switch is activated then the fan is energized also, but would this mean turning the bathroom light on in daytimes in order for the fan to come on? I also understand that a triple pole isolator must also be fitted.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
yes, i am aware of part p thanks. with regards to the switching of the fan, i already have two pull switches in the bathroom, one for the shower and one for the light so would it be sensible to have a triple pole isolator switch for the fan situated above the door and use this as the switching for the fan?

further to my last post, what i want is the fan to come on but not with the lights?

OK. So you will not require a timer fan, just a standard one (I assume that you have a window in your bathroom?)

I would suggest removing the light pull switch and putting in a double light switch - one for lights and one for the fan, but this will require more wiring and wall chasing...

You could put the fan switch above the door but it won't ever be used. Only you will know its there.

OK. So you will not require a timer fan, just a standard one (I assume that you have a window in your bathroom?)

i would like to have a fan on a timer and yes i do have a window in my bathroom

You could put the fan switch above the door but it won't ever be used. Only you will know its there

if it was situated above the doorway to the bathroom clearly visible and identified would this be ok?

would suggest removing the light pull switch and putting in a double light switch

my bathroom lights at present are on a pull-dimmer switch and i would quite like to keep this facility

The point of a timer fan is that it comes on with the light and then will run on for several minutes after the light has been switched off.
BUT
You do not want the fan to operate with the light, so how would you expect the timer part to function?

Perhaps - provide additional switch that turns on the fan: when you turn this switch on the fan runs. When you turn the switch off (if you remember) then the fan will continue to run for some time and then swicth off?

If you want to do this then the isolation switch idea will not work. This switch isolates all power rfom the fan so fan will stop when when you operate the switch - so there is no point in having a timer....

In your case my idea would be to put the fan on the lighting supply via a 3 pole isolator, but instead of using the the lightswitch install a ceiling mounted PIR to operate the fan.

Martin

In your case my idea would be to put the fan on the lighting supply via a 3 pole isolator, but instead of using the the lightswitch install a ceiling mounted PIR to operate the fan.

Martin

Again, that will not require a timer fan as the PIR will provide the over-run (ie stay on for x minutes after there is no more movement - pun intended!)

The point of a timer fan is that it comes on with the light and then
will run on for several minutes after the light has been switched off.

So,in order for me to have a fan with a timer then it can only work when the lights are on? So what about daytime?

If you Google Airflow Icon fans, you can then buy different control modules for different scenarios i.e. humidity, movement etc. TLC direct are one supplier.

So,in order for me to have a fan with a timer then it can only work when the lights are on?
No, you can install a separate switch for it. As long as people remember to turn it on and off that'll work fine.

When do you want the fan to come on?

Are you sure you know enough about electrical installation work to comply with P1?

When do you want the fan to come on

would like to have the fan on whenever anybody takes a shower

Are you sure you know enough about electrical installation work to comply with P1

yes, im sure i can fit the fan and wire it correctly and safely in order to comply with part p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back