Bathroom False ceiling insulation / ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My bathroom has no loft above it and as a result loses a load of heat because of no insulation, so I'm putting in a dropped ceiling with the idea of putting insulation in the void. I'm using mdf ceiling panels ( tongue and groove ) The void is only around 200mm high. Do I need ventilation in there? If so would I drill thru the outside wall? As ceiling ventilation would allow steam up into the void perhaps ? Any advice please.

Sponsored Links
What is above the bathroom, is it an outside roof.
Normally a gap of about 50mm can be left above the insulation and this should be vented, but as this is a false ceiling, I would consider fully filling the void and no vents.
But I would fit duplex (foil backed) plasterboards rather than MDF :evil:
This would offer a vapour check barrier and reduce condensation problems.
The next issue would be the lights that you fit, try to avoid fitting down lights.

Don’t use MDF, it’s crap & won’t survive long in a damp bathroom environment. Use Duplex (foil back) boards to provide vapour control with insulation above as PBD sugests; make sure you get it plastered afterwards or it’ll look terrible.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back