False ceiling project to add insulation above stair-well - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a cold stairway with a high ceiling and short upstairs corridor (1m wide). The roof cavity above is hard to access, has some insulation but not much. Hence warm air rises up the stair well to the ceiling, pools in this area and escapes. Picture included hopefully or will be posted below.

My plan is to fix joist hangers and joists to the internal walls beneath this area, to create a false ceiling with a void in between. I reckon the void can be 20 to 30cm. I would insulate this as much as possible.

I thought I could put something like Kingspan board between the new joists, perhaps some more, thinner Kingspan above, bridging the joists, or roll fibreglass over these. Then put plaster board up and get plasterer in.

Or would I put the joists as close to the original ceiling as possible and put insulation beneath this (but then have the issue of attaching plaster board…

I have no experience.

I am struggling with questions: 1) about ventilation – should I completely stuff the void with Rockwool / fibre glass? Do I / don’t I leave an air space. Do I need to put ventilation grills in? Where – original ceiling to roof space or false ceiling to the void or one end of the false ceiling to another?

2) the new ceiling will be an “L” shape above a stair with a 90 degree corner. It is only about a meter wide and say 3 M long. Andy tips on materials? I am thinking that the joists wont need to be too big or strong – just supporting plaster board and the insulation. What are suggested joist spaces - do they correspond with standard insulation board width?

3) Do I need to add some sort of vapour membrane somewhere.

Thanks in advance….

Sponsored Links
The space...

Attachments

• IMG_20211216_122243.jpg
    IMG_20211216_122243.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 90

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back