Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am looking to internally insulate my bathroom. The bathroom sits above my kitchen under a pitched roof so the space is very limited (see pics). Construction is solid wall with lime plaster so I can chip off the old lime batten and insulate the walls. The problem I am having is the celing. I believe that the current ceiling is plasterboard attached to the joists. Can I take off old plaster board then install insulation board inbetween joints? I think they are small joist as the roof isn't too big so maybe 30mm insulation board, I would then screw new moisture resisten plasterboard to the joists and have a nice warm weiling. Has anyone done something similar? Are there any very thin but effective insulations out there?

I also would prefer to get rid of the wooden purlins as they stick out a lot and people bash their head on them and when you shower contensation that hits the ceiling runs down and hits purlin which will elad to rot eventually. Could I removed wooden purlin and replace with a steel? One that was the same in thickness as the insulation and palster board I indend to put on ceiling then I would have and uninterupted celing.

Cheers

Toby

Attachments

• 20220724_154420.jpg
    20220724_154420.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20220724_154427.jpg
    20220724_154427.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220724_154438.jpg
    20220724_154438.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back