Insulating a flat roof ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a bedroom with a flat roof with no insulation! I was thinking about insulating and re boarding over top of original ceiling as room height is good. Options I’m considering;
1. Add 3x2’’ battens over ceiling, infill insulation boards between battens then p/board over top?
( would I need an air gap between new p/board and insulation boards? Wld I need a damp barrier plastic sheet?
2. Just attach plaster board with insulation already attached direct to old ceiling, fixing to joists?

Any advice welcomed, thanks.

Sponsored Links
No battens needed, they decrease the insulation.
If you can find the beams/joists, you can simply board over with insulated plasterboard or use 50mm celotex and regular plasterboard. You can use plasterboard adhesive foam to stick it to the ceiling and screws to support. No need for damp barrier. make sure that all the gaps are sealed with foam and that you leave the correct spacing for any downlights if fitted.

So option 2 or use celotex and plasterboard - which is cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back