Bathroom Fan Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I plan to fit a fan heater in the bathroom. I want to connect it to the bathroom light to get its supply. Unfortunately, there is already a spur created from the bathroom light to the bathroom extractor fan via a FCU 3amp.

Is it possible for me to connect the bathroom fan heater to the ceiling rose to get its supply in addition to the extractor fan getting its supply from the same place or should I got about wiring the heater a different way. If so, please explain how.

Thanks.

Ryan

Sponsored Links
I personally don't think you can fit a fan heater to a lighting circuit (too powerful). I would say you'll have to come off your r/main somewhere with a switch that cannot be touched when you are in the shower/bath.
Now breezer (godfather of leccy stuff) will prove me wrong.

The heater shouldn't be put on the lighting circuit because it draws a lot of power (probably 1 - 2 kW, an extractor fan draws about 0.06kW/60W) and you need to install it in accordance with the regulations with regard the position of it as there are very specific requirements for equipment installed in bathrooms. You ned to either look to install a new circuit or look at taking a supply from another circuit. You also need to bear in mind that you need to carry out supplementary equipotential bonding between every circuit in the bathroom and the other metallic parts in the bathroom (some exceptions may apply).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back