SUPPLY TO FCU (3amp)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm bravely installing a standard extractor fan in the bathroom after the wife nagging on for years and the bathroom ceiling about to collapse.

I have installed the fan and connected it to a ceiling pullcord switch and then connected the switch to a Double Pole FCU (3amp). The fan is to run on a separate switch and not when the bathroom light is turned on.

Now I need to connect the FCU to a supply. I want to connect the FCU directly to the ceiling rose in the bathroom using twin and earth wire rather than having to break into the bathroom lighting supply wire using junction boxes (2) to create a spur to the FCU and then back into the bathroom lighting supply.

All the wiring in the house is recently new. The only problem is that when I opened up the ceiling rose in the bathroom, I had no idea where to connect the twin and earth wire leading from the FCU. The only wire I was able to connect was the earth. I have no idea where to connect the live (red) and neutral (black) wires into the ceiling rose as I got puzzled when I saw a loop system in the ceiling rose.

Should I simply connect the live (red) wire to where it states live and the neutral (black) wire to where it states neutral and the earth wire to where it states earth and ignore the loop system? or should I wire it a different way as all I need to do is connect a supply to the FCU?

Please help before the wife does my head in.

Regards: Ryan

Sponsored Links
in your ceiling rose you should have

1 black 3 reds 2 blacks

all in a row in that order (depends which end you start)

you should put your live with the reds and neutral with the 2 blacks

the earth wire goes with the other earths you can see.

Please also dont tell me that you have a lamp hanging from this ceiling rose

Thank you for your prompt reply breezer.

Currently I have in the ceiling rose the following terminal blocks:

Live Loop Neutral Earth
1 Black 2 Reds 1 Black 2 Green/Yellow
1 Brown 1 Blue = these two wires are connected to the lamp.

Should I connect the twin and earth wire from the FCU to the ceiling rose as follows:

live (red) wire to the live block
neutral (black) wire to the neutral block
earth (green/yellow) to the earth block

or a different way.

I'm somewhat still puzzled.

it would seem that the light to which you refer is the last one on the "chain" so that is wire you have 1 wire less for the reds and blacks.
(its not a problem)
yes your live should go to the reds and the neutral to the black that also has the blue and you know where the earth goes

but i still have to ask is this in an ordainairy bath room? as you can not have a lamp hanging down in a bathroom (i am wondering what the brown and blue are connected to)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply breezer.

The answer to your questions is Yes, this is an ordinary bathroom which has a lamp hanging down and has done so for over 10yrs.

I have been told to remove the lamp as at is dangerous and will do so when I have managed to wire up the fan.

Just to recap, you stated that I should wire FCU supply wire to the ceiling rose as follows:

Live terminal block: nothing
Loop terminal block: red wire
Neutral terminal block: black wire
Earth terminal block: earth wire

Is this correct or am I just a lost cause?

breezer said:
you can not have a lamp hanging down in a bathroom

Why is it dangerous ? is it to do with wet condensation onto the light bulb or if it fall into the bath water etc?

Well Masona, it's probably dangerous because of the condensation in the bathroom which causes water droplets on the bulb.

But it should be OK once the bathroom fan is in working order. Lets just hope that I don't wire it up wrong.

Ryan

actually the reason it is dangerous is because it is there. I shall explain.

It does have something to do with the moisture in the room, but also because if the lamp goes you will be tempted to reach it while wet, suppose you grab it and slip, what if the lamp holder comes off you will be left with a live cable in your hand and ..........

the dampness is also why you have a pull cord or a switch outside the room

Well they do in Spanish country ;) ,so next time I'm over there and you're now saying I cannot lift the lovely spanish cleaning lady up to change the light bulb? damn :!: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back