Wiring extract fan - check list.

TLM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have replaced old ceiling fan with new inline Vent-Axia ACM100T installed in the loft. The old fan was feed from ceiling rose through DP pull cord switch and 3AMP FCU using two core cable (main supply -> DP -> FCU -> fan). According to manufacture instruction new fan should be provided with a local double pole isolator switch and must not be earthed (see below attached wiring diagram).

I had to change installation as new fan requires LS for timer to work. Main supply feeds from ceiling rose to FCU then to DP (two core cable) and then from DP (3 core and Earth 1mm2) to the fan (main supply -> FCU -> DP -> fan).

DP is old Crabtree pull switch with L1 L2 L3 L4 terminals. Feed in from FCU: live (red) to L3, neutral (black) to L2, earth (yellow) to earth terminal. Feed out to fan: live (brown) to L3, live S (grey) to L4, neutral (black) to L2, earth not connected at the moment. L1 terminal is not in use.

Fan: neutral (black) to N, Live S (grey) to LS, live (brown) to L, earth not connected.

Other info: bathroom has window and pull cord switch is only used to operates fan (light has separate switch). I hope the above info make sense.

Fan and timer works OK but I have the following questions:
1. Is my new installation correct and with accordance to manufacture guidance?
2. Is it with accordance to the current building standards and regulations?
3. Is DP wired correctly as I wasn't sure about this. I assume that neutrals should be connected together and permanent lives as well?
4. Should I use 3 core cable from FCU to DP? I found some similar topics were 3 core was used. If so why?
5. Is it required to install 3 pole fan isolator in my case?
6. What about feed out Earth from DP to fan? Should it be connected to earth terminal at DP? What about at the fan side ?
7. Are cable colours used correctly?
8. Did I missed something? I'm not a sparky and would like to sleep well ;)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Properly not what did the manufactures instructions actually tel you to do?
Would depend if you have not complied to to any, part p states the installation must be safe, is it have you proved this by performing the correct inspection and tests and documenting them, if so can you confirm via your finding that it is safe?
3. Is DP wired correctly as I wasn't sure about this. I assume that neutrals should be connected together and permanent lives as well?
Double pole would suggest that both poles line and neutral can be disconnected and energized by the same function, it does not seem that is the way you have configuration the switch.
4. Should I use 3 core cable from FCU to DP? I found some similar topics were 3 core was used. If so why?
You don't need to but generally three and earth is used when a perm live, switch live, neutral and CPC/earth are required.
It is not required, but is an option.
6. What about feed out Earth from DP to fan? Should it be connected to earth terminal at DP? What about at the fan side ?
CPC/earth should be continuous to each accessory, have you confirmed this?
By what you have stated, they seem to be in order with reference to colours for live and CPC conductors, but no mentioning of sleeves to ID them!
cable routing, safe zones, permitted safe zones, RCD protection, two core (no CPC), possibly notification, Inspection and testing and certification etc...

Properly not what did the manufactures instructions actually tel you to do?
Let me rephrase my question as I think I know where this is heading. Based on my description is my wiring in line with the attached manufacture wiring diagram?
Would depend if you have not complied to to any, part p states the installation must be safe, is it have you proved this by performing the correct inspection and tests and documenting them, if so can you confirm via your finding that it is safe? I agree wiring must be completed by qualified person..
I take your point here I did not follow part p in my testing so as the building standard is concerned the answer is NO. I only used tester screwdriver to test hot (live) wire in the circuit.
Double pole would suggest that both poles line and neutral can be disconnected and energized by the same function, it does not seem that is the way you have configuration the switch.
Do you mean that neutrals should be in separate terminals? so neutral feed out to the fan should be connected to L1 terminal? In such configuration timer does not work. Could you collaborate on this? Also manufacture guide states that the fan SHOULD be provided with a DP switch which in my understanding is not the same as MUST be?
You don't need to but generally three and earth is used when a perm live, switch live, neutral and CPC/earth are required.
Is switch live required from FCU to DP? I thought only from DP to fan?
It is not required, but is an option.
thanks for the clarification.
CPC/earth should be continuous to each accessory, have you confirmed this?
Earth is continuous from ceiling rose to FCU then to DP. The fan is double insulated and there is no earth terminal. What should I do with earth wire from DP to fan?
By what you have stated, they seem to be in order with reference to colours for live and CPC conductors, but no mentioning of sleeves to ID them!
I will look into this. thanks.
cable routing, safe zones, permitted safe zones, RCD protection, two core (no CPC), possibly notification, Inspection and testing and certification etc...
- cable routing: underfloor as the old installation and also according to the following guide //www.diynot.com/pages/el/el054.php
- zones: has not changed - fan, FCU in the loft, fan cover in zone 1, pull cord switch in zone 3
- whole house RCD in place
- possibly notification, Inspection and testing and certification: it will be done in near future as more major works are scheduled in the loft.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Let me rephrase my question as I think I know where this is heading. Based on my description is my wiring in line with the attached manufacture wiring diagram?
If we ignore the fact that you have a DP pole switch but have not configured it to operate two poles, I would hazard as guess you have but without test I can only guess that you have!
I take your point here I did not follow part p in my testing so as the building standard is concerned the answer is NO. I only used tester screwdriver to test hot (live) wire in the circuit.
The test/neon screwdrivers are an unsafe and a unreliable test instrument, don't trust your life with them! When testing use approved instruments that leads comply to GS38 and folow inspection and testing procedure that are shown in Guidance Note 3
Do you mean that neutrals should be in separate terminals? so neutral feed out to the fan should be connected to L1 terminal? In such configuration timer does not work. Could you collaborate on this? Also manufacture guide states that the fan SHOULD be provided with a DP switch which in my understanding is not the same as MUST be?
As stated previously DP switch you have switch live on one isolation pole but have kept neutral continuous, i am sure on the switching arrangement of this switch, so connect it up correctly as a DP function I would need to see the MI or test the terminals.
When it comes to safety, Should and Must in my language mean the same!
Is switch live required from FCU to DP? I thought only from DP to fan?
Pull cord should be fine
Earth is continuous from ceiling rose to FCU then to DP. The fan is double insulated and there is no earth terminal. What should I do with earth wire from DP to fan?
CPC/earth should be continuous to each accessory, the ex-fan MI may say class II don't connect earth but you should still run the CPC to fan and then sleeve and terminate into a connector, this does need need to be connected to the unit! A connector can be placed inside the enclosure of the pull cord!

- cable routing: underfloor as the old installation and also according to the following guide //www.diynot.com/pages/el/el054.php
- zones: has not changed - fan, FCU in the loft, fan cover in zone 1, pull cord switch in zone 3
- whole house RCD in place
- possibly notification, Inspection and testing and certification: it will be done in near future as more major works are scheduled in the loft.
The link did not work, look at installation techniques in Wiki, under cables in walls and floors. Can the fan be fitted in zone 1 (check MI)
Zone 3 no longer exists! Have you got a record of the RCD test results, is functioning within it's parameters?
The work should be notified prior to you starting the work and you should not commence until building controls have approved your application.

This is worrying that you have gone ahead with a project and not researched it correctly and cannot prove it is safe!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back