Extraction fan wiring

AS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Previous owners unwired extraction fan in bathroom at the fan.
have checked where this comes from and it is looped into bathroom light.
The cable that goes from light to fan meets fan with red - live term, black to neutral terminal, there is a blank/empty switched live terminal,the earth wire is sheathed but connects to nothing.

The cables from the fan that should be connected to the above terminals are folded up inside the fan. They consist of 2 x thin black wires. How do i wire these cables back in so the thing works again? and how should i connect the earth - there is no earth terminal.

Sponsored Links
Which brand and model number is it? Have you tried contacting the mfr?

Am in process of searching for manufacturer. it says BG on it embossed on the plastic and there seems to be no model no. May update the fan anyway. Just wasn't top of the list just now.
Thanks

If they are the only wires in the fan, and there is no electronics brick containing a timer, then I suggest they could be the motor winding ends..If you can measure the resistance between the black wires - and get a few hundred ohms or so, then connect one to live, one to neutral (polarity not an issue) and jut flick it on briefly. If the circuit breaker holds, and the fan starts, then they were the motor windings, if the circuit breaker trips they were something else (overheat cut out perhaps?). Of course this is a last ditch method, but before it goes in the bin worth a try.
Does it look like there ever was an electronic timer block that has been removed?
Of course it may be disconnected because it doesn't work, but at least you will know. Un used cores (like earth) should be folded out of the way and insulated, either with a chock block, preferred, or if no room, then generously taped, that way the next used has them.
let us know
M.

Sponsored Links
Er... can you believe it! my husband who i just spoke to has just admitted that HE infact unwired the fan when we moved in because it was distrurbing his loo experience!! :evil:

Have spoken to BG who don't sell fans anymore and as you can expect won't give any technical advice.
There are no other wires coming from the fan other than these 2 black ones and there is no electronic panel - looks like very basic 4" fan.

My husband said the fan had no timer action, just came on and off with the light, and looking at the bends in the wires it looks like one went to live and one went to neutral. I am abit nervous of trying that out so unless it seems obvious to anyone that that is where the wires would go or it is safe to try them like that - I think I'll get a leccy in to do it. Although it might be cheaper to just buy a new f :cry: an
Thanks for the help

I think you have very little to lose by putting the wires back where they look to come from, as I said earlier, in a non-earthed applience, live-neutral polarity is not a big issue, and there are only two wires, and two terminals, so not really many ways to get it wrong.
There are three possible outcomes,

1) it works fine (most likely)

2) nothing happens (oh well, disconnect it again and mark it as scrap) or

3) the fuse/circuit breaker trips (hmm, chalk it up to experience, and treat as case 2)

If it never had a timer, then the safe money is on option 1.

If its too noisy at night you might find adding a second switch along side the one for the light to interrupt the live feed for use 'after hours' might be a better compromise than one that is on all the time the light is on.

regards M.

Sorry to bring this to the top of the list but wanted to say thanks.
Wired fan in and it works - sounds tired so guess need to replace at some point but thats a job for later.

Now its wired in, does it go the correct way..?

If wired back to front, it will run the opposite way..

It would be useful to know which airline AliasOmega is an engineer for.

What does that do for jetlag when crossing the timezones?????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back